Not Sure How to Use Eggplant? Try this Easy Curry on Rice or with a Flatbread!
Serves 3-4, or less with tasty leftovers
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 small Onion, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves of Garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Cayenne powder
- 1 tsp ground Turmeric
- 1 Eggplant, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Bell Pepper, cored and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Passata or crushed Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- Warm oil in a Dutch oven or high-sided frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 7-10 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add ginger and turmeric and sauté for 30-45 seconds, until fragrant. Add garam masala, coriander, and cayenne, stirring quickly until everything in the pan comes together, another 30 seconds or so.
- Add eggplant, bell pepper, and chickpeas, stirring everything together. Then add the passata or tomatoes, alongside at least 1 cup of water. Add more water as needed, to make sure all the eggplant is at least partially submerged. You want the eggplant to absorb the flavour of the tomato and spices as it cooks.
- Add salt and pepper, then bring to a low simmer, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, until the eggplant softens. Add the lemon juice, then more salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy over rice, or alongside warm naan for dipping!