Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with this Simple and Delicious Dip
Serves 6 as a Snack
- 1 Bunch Green Onions
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Peeled and Diced
- 1 Lime
- 1 Pint Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Jalapeno
- ¼ Cup Cilantro (Optional)
- Remove the root end of the green onion, then thinly slice, separating the white and green sections.
- Put the whites of the green onion and the garlic in large bowl. Zest the lime into the bowl, then cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice overtop. Leave this for 5 minutes; the lime juice will soften the flavour of the raw onion and garlic.
- Meanwhile, halve or quarter the grape tomatoes to the size you want. Remove the stem end of the jalapeno. If you like your salsa spicy, mince the jalapeno, seed and all. If you don’t like too much spice, remove the seeds from the jalapeno, then mince the flesh.
- Add the tomatoes and jalapeno to the medium bowl, along with a big pinch of salt, and mix everything together. If using, roughly chop the cilantro, add to the bowl and mix again.
- Preferably leave the salsa for at least a few minutes for the flavours to meld. It can be kept for 2-3 days in the fridge in a sealed container. Enjoy it with chips, on tacos, or even in a salad!